Suburban drives

Yesterday Atticus and I took the long way home from school to listen to music and feel adventurous. The kid adores the car and music, so it was really a win-win. I've been listening to a lot of Milo Greene lately, namely this song:

 and this one:


We were contemplative and taking in the scenery of West Houston. I know, most of you are wondering what scenery I'm talking about, and I haven't painted a very positive picture of this part of town over the past few months, but I grew up around here and I know where to find beauty. There are trees and trails and well-kept yards that make some of the nearby neighborhoods a blast to drive through. Plus Atticus got a kick out of the many, many school buses we saw en route. That kid loves anything with wheels.

And then, as I was thinking this exact phrase, "Wagon Wheel" by Old Crow Medicine Show miraculously started playing on the iPod. I say miraculously because I had it set for Milo Greene, so how it switched gears without my doing is beyond me, but it seemed like what we both needed. That song cheers me up every time I hear it and when I turned around, Atticus was having a regular hoe-down in the carseat. He was tapping his feet, clapping his hands and bobbing his head to the fiddle and I got the biggest shit-eating grin on my face. God, I love bluegrass. Apparently so does my boy, which makes me one proud mama.


Popular Posts